What is the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC)?
Founded in 2010 by WWF and IDH (Dutch Sustainable Trade Initiative) the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent not for profit organisation with global influence.
ASC aims to be the world's leading certification and labelling programme for responsibly farmed seafood. The ASC's primary role is to manage the global standards for responsible aquaculture, which were developed by the WWF Aquaculture Dialogues.
ASC works with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and consumers to:
- Recognise and reward responsible aquaculture through the ASC aquaculture certification programme and seafood label
- Promote best environmental and social choice when buying seafood.
- Contribute to transforming seafood markets towards sustainability.
Transforming global seafood markets
With its partners, the ASC runs an ambitious programme to transform the world's seafood markets and promote the best environmental and social aquaculture performance. This means increasing the availability of certified responsibly produced seafood to buyers and promoting the use of the ASC logo. The logo sends a strong message to consumers about the environmental and social integrity of the product they are purchasing.
Making a real difference
The ASC programme promotes industry best practice to minimise the environmental and social footprint of commercial aquaculture. Through its consumer label the ASC promotes certified responsibly farmed products in the marketplace. To achieve this the ASC programme is:
Credible : ASC standards are developed and implemented according to ISEAL guidelines - multi-stakeholder, transparent, incorporating science-based performance metrics
Meaningful: Including science-based performance metrics, the requirements in the standards are realistic, measurable and auditable.
Effective: A globally recognised, market-oriented programme that aims to promote meaningful improvements in aquaculture production in a credible and cost efficient way that adds real value to producers and buyers of certified products.
- ASC Application Form F01 04.2 (198 Kb)
- ASC Certification and Accreditation Requirements V. 2 (1137 Kb)
- ASC Pangasius Standard_v1.0 (565 Kb)
- ASC Tilapia
- ASC Tilapia Standard_v1.1 (779 Kb)
- ASC Shrimp Standard_v1.0 (2250 Kb)
- ASC Bivalve Standard_v1.0 (1100 Kb)
- ASC Freshwater Trout Standard_v1.0 (669 Kb)
- ASC Abalone Standard_v1.0 (666 Kb)
- ASC Salmon
- ASC Salmon Standard_v1.1 (1545 Kb)
- ASC Seriola Cobia Standard_v1.0 (1087 Kb)
- A16 CU Inspection Regulation 6.4 General (499 Kb)
- ASC logo (2151 Kb)
P.O. Box 19107
3501 DC Utrecht
3511 RV Utrecht